NYBC encourages bicyclists to Take Action! Nonprofit & advocacy organizations (like NYBC) are key to making New York truly bicycle friendly. Individual advocates, however, are just as important – so Take Action today! NYBC encourages bicyclists to
- Join NYBC- Join other bicyclists and supporters in creating a bicycle friendly New York. Click Here to become a Member
- Ride Your Bike- A great way to help NYBC create a bicycle friendly New York is to simply ride your bike. If you have children, teach them to ride bicycles and encourage them to ride to school. The difference is made by people like you, riding throughout the beautiful landscapes of New York State.
- Share the Road- The best way to educate motorists on bicyclists’ rights to the road is to ride respectfully and be educated on state and federal bike and traffic laws
- Encourage Your Friends & Family- The next time you decide to go for a bike ride, ask one of your friends or family members to ride with you.
- Encourage Employers- One of the best ways to get more people to ride bikes is through encouragement by their employers who can offer such amenities as bike parking and shower facilities.
- Speak to Elected Officials- While NYBC works tirelessly to make bicycling, it’s just as vital that citizens get involved. NYBC encourages individuals to contact their local and state elected officials to state the need for more bike investments across the state. Your input matters.
Some tips on contacting elected officials:
- Be a Constituent – remind your legislators you live in their district.
- Be Focused – keep your message simple and short.
- Be Specific – ask your legislators to take an action, like voting for or against a bill.
- Be Brief – remember these are busy people who work on many different issues.
- Be Personal – you don’t have to be an expert on the issue, just speak from the heart.
- Be Polite – always be respectful, and remember to say thank you!
If you would like to get involved with Advocacy efforts, please contact NYBC at email@example.com