APPEAL: NYBC Cares About You!
NYBC took to heart the results of the survey that YOU were kind enough to complete earlier this year. Those results inspired our growing staff to redouble our efforts to get every New Yorker bicycling and walking safely.
You told us to increase our Bike Safety Education curriculum; continue our Legislative platform trying to enact a 3 foot safe passing law; promote bike based tourism and host an expanded CycleNY ride for advocacy series; and work with our many willing partners in and outside government to identify and upgrade needed cycling and pedestrian infrastructure around the state.
If you have been reading our monthly e-News you know that NYBC has had a very busy 6 months.
Here are just some of the highlights of our work:
- Online Bike Quizzes developed and launched;
- Newly designed Bicycling Pocket Guide in English and Spanish;
- 3’ Safe Passing Ride around the State Capitol this past Friday with the Mohawk Hudson Cycling Club and the Albany Bicycle Coalition;
- Major E-Bike demo on the Empire Plaza in Albany last Wednesday;
- Successful CycleNY ride in Kingston with seven more similar events in the works;
- Commuter Education “brown bag lunches” for several state agencies in Albany as part of national Bike to Work Week;
- Completed shooting of a Law Enforcement video, with the Albany Police Department, and developed supporting print collaterals to educate and update the law enforcement community throughout the state about NYS Vehicular and Traffic laws relating to bicycling and walking;
- Safe Cycling Classes Conducted in Rochester, Syracuse, Buffalo, Albany and Kingston with more classes scheduled in Plattsburgh, Southern Tier and Long Island – all leading to more trained and engaged LAB League Certified Instructors.More LCIs, with support from our fantastic new education staff, will lead to a safer bicycling environment for all New Yorkers!
NYBC is on the move. We have been criss-crossing the state and getting our message out about bike safety and advocacy, working with an ever-expanding array of partners. However, to continue our efforts to create a safer, shared and truly multi-modal road and trail system we need your financial support RIGHT NOW.
We can’t write grants for some of the work we do, particularly the very difficult advocacy and legislative activities led by our wonderful volunteer board. We need you to DONATE NOW to help us continue the work that you told us was most important in our first ever survey.
As always, thank you for being part of the NYBC paceline! Please email us with your feedback and suggestions.